Tuesday 3 September 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #12 - School Wishlist


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers over at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join.

This week: Top Ten Books That You Wish Were Taught In Schools

I never read much books for English in high school, I hope that's going to change now that I'm going to university to study English:) I like classics, also the ones that are usually taught in schools, but I think some YA books would also be awesome to read in class. They have great ideas and morals to think about and can teach teens a lot. 

Dystopians

  • The Hunger Games
  • Unwind
  • Partials
  • Delirium 
  • Uglies
  • Divergent
Good dystopians make you think a lot, because the writers used things/problems from our society. This makes it quite realistic and makes you think we should do something about it before it goes too far (like environmental things, war, crazy science etc.) That is why I like dystopians and why they are great to teach in schools!

Fantasy

  • Percy Jackson
Awesome Greek mythology lesson!

  • Harry Potter
In these books you learn about good vs evil, friendship, love and much more (and they are just awesome).

Contemporary

  • Looking for Alaska
Great book about death and learning to deal with the choices you make.
  • Perks of being a Wallflower
This book is a realistic projection of an average insecure high school teen and discusses a lot of familiar problems.

Leave your TTT in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. Nice picks! I love Divergent-- so excited for the movie, I can't even. Haha! And Harry Potter is a CLASSIC to me now! Percy Jackson has been part of my childhood too, so definitely some of that would do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about Percy Jackson and how it would be great for learning Greek mythology! It would be nice to have some of distopian stories is high school, they really make you think about our society :) nice list!

    My Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Divergent and Harry Potter!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the dystopian stuff. If I had been as into it back in high school as I am now, maybe I would've enjoyed some of my books haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh great list! So many books I've read and loved. I know during my school years I read Uglies, Harry Potter, and Perks of Being a Wallflower - they just weren't assigned. I would've been much more interested in my classes if they were! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely have enjoyed English class in high school a lot more if these books were assigned! Dystopians can definitely be used to spark all sorts of conversations about different issues, especially politics and philosophy. And yes, Percy Jackson would be great to read and then discuss mythology. How fun! Great picks! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just heard about Unwind recently, and it sounds amazing.

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I just wish we could learn these class. Especially Percy Jackson, it would be an awesome lesson. Just fantasizing about Percy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be more than glad if I could attend a class like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I haven't read Unwind, but I have a lot of friends that have told me I really need to give it a go. I don't know why I didn't think about Uglies, but that's a wonderful choice! I just think almost any dystopian book would be great in the classroom--it could be good in almost any class too depending on what/why/how behind the dystopia.

    Love your picks!
    Chelsea @ Books Turn Brains

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unwind is really one of the best YA dystopians I've read, it really makes you think a lot. You should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Hunger Games! I know, right? Percy Jackson is a great idea! I wish I'd thought of that! Great list. :)

    My TTT:
    http://qaisracetusbookblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/top-ten-tuesday-9313.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! I'll do my best to reply to everyone (that is why I'd love for you to subscribe to my comments) and to visit your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...