Thursday 1 August 2013

Rush (The Game #1) - Eve Silver [Review]

This review may contain spoilers.

Rush by Eve Silver



Title: Rush
Author: Eve Silver
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Series: The Game #1
Release Date: June 11th 2013
Pages: 361
Rating: ★★★☆☆ 










Blurb:


So what’s the game now? This, or the life I used to know?

When Miki Jones is pulled from her life, pulled through time and space into some kind of game—her carefully controlled life spirals into chaos. In the game, she and a team of other teens are sent on missions to eliminate the Drau, terrifying and beautiful alien creatures. There are no practice runs, no training, and no way out. Miki has only the guidance of secretive but maddeningly attractive team leader Jackson Tate, who says the game isn’t really a game, that what Miki and her new teammates do now determines their survival, and the survival of every other person on this planet. She laughs. He doesn’t. And then the game takes a deadly and terrifying turn.


Review:


I was really excited to read this book. The synopsis sounded amazing, I mean aliens, games, missions.. what's not to love? Unfortunately the book wasn't as amazing.

Miki thinks she died while trying save a girl's life. Instead she wakes up in the Game. She has to terminate the Drau, evil aliens who are trying to destroy the Earth, together with childhood friend Luka and cryptic Jackson. She soon finds out it's not a game, but a real life or death battle. And of course during these games she falls in love with Jackson, who keeps trying to tell her he's not the good guy. 

The Game concept was pretty awesome. The termination of the aliens was designed as a video game, complete with points and endurance levels. It was thought out well and the science behind it was nice. The players had a reality, their real lives and a virtual reality, in which they killed aliens. Most of the book the game was a mystery to the readers, due to Jackson's crypticness, only at the end we got some answers. The players had access to some nice high-tech weapons and the scenes in the game were fast-paced and action packed, I really did like those.

The book to me was ruined because of the characters and most of all the romance.

I really disliked the character of Jackson Tate, that is the main part why I didn't like the romance. He was one of those standard arrogant bad boys (with no reason to be bad, he just likes to be infuriating). Always mysterious, always cryptic and secretive, always having major mood swings. But of course he was incredibly hot and Miki just couldn't resist his charm. He kept giving her the 'I'm not a good guy' speech, I got a Twilight deja-vu there. Miki kept drawing conclusions about Jackson, about what he thought and meant with his comments, like he really cared about her when he said something cryptic and smartass. Of course later it turned out he actually did like her, the predictable 'bad boy finally falls in love and turns good - scenario'. Ugh. And it wasn't exactly instalove, but when they suddenly exchanged 'I love you's' at the end that seemed a bit out of the blue. Why can't the girl not fall in love with the irritating bad boy for a change?

I didn't know what part Luka played in the romance (or actually in the story at all). At first he seemed to be interested in Miki, or at least she concluded that from the 'hostile staring contest' between Jackson and Luka (she thought pretty high of herself). I was bracing myself for a love triangle, but later it turns out he had a crush on Miki's BFF Carly, who by the way is the worst friend ever and seemed to get mad about everything. Luka appeared to be one of the main characters in the beginning, but soon he started to move to the background and we didn't really see him until the end of the book. A pity, because he was the only character that was actually likable in the book.

The protagonist Miki was not really likable. What irritated me most was that she kept seeing hidden things in other people's talking and behaviour. First that both Luka and Jackson liked her, then that Jackson actually cared for her, etcetera etcetera. And she kept telling everyone she was pretty badass with her black belt in Kendo, but she apart from making sarcastic comments and thinking aggressive thoughts she wasn't really a heroine. Only at the end she starts showing some fighting skills, but before that Jackson had to do everything for her.

The book had a pretty big cliffhanger at the end, but I'm not sure I'm interested in reading the second book.

Conclusion

This book would have been much better if the writer had focused sci-fi/game stuff and less on the romance. Many YA books these days seem to have a similar problem, focusing more on the crappy romance instead of the awesome real plot. I will still give the book 3 stars, since I liked the action and the sci-fi stuff.

Stars: 3 out of 5



8 comments:

  1. I think I've seen this round but I didn't bother adding it to my list. The Game part sounds awesome. If only there was a way to read the good bits haha. Miki sounds like a bit of an idiot. If you're gonna tell everyone you're a badass black belt, I want something to back it up. I still don't think I'll be picking this one up. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to cut out some parts indeed (the romance + stupid inner dialogue of Mikki), if I had been only about the Games I would have given it 5 stars:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm....not sure now whether I should read the book or not. If I don't like the characters, I usually don't like the book. I don't mind the bad-boy thing if we can get a little into his head. Was this in first person? If so, I guess we can't. I think the authors that write the bad-boy in a way that makes you love him are genus! Like Cassandra Clare. Will was obnoxious, but you got just enough from him to still love him. Sounds like that didn't happen with Jackson. Maybe I'll get this one from the library and all I'll lose will be a few hours. :) Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmh, the games sound good. The characters and romance not so much. Think I'll leave this one on the back burner for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I've been pretty excited for Rush. I loved the authors adult/paranormal series and was hoping this would be a great YA series. I thinks I'll keep an open mind out when I do read it! Great review and thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep. I'll probably have problems with Jackson Tate. Being bad for no reason at all, especially being a jerk, gets me annoyed quickly. I usually skip books where the MC likes a guy for superficial reasons and smartass comments. It feels like a fake romance to me. And I DEFINITELY don't like heroines that talk more than they actually do. Uh-uh, I think I'll skip this one.
    Awesome review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you don't like these things, I'd definitely not read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will is just adorable, Jackson.. not so much! There was no Jackson POV, no. You can indeed always try it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! I'll do my best to reply to everyone (that is why I'd love for you to subscribe to my comments) and to visit your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...